This post was most recently updated on August 12th, 2022
The summer months are fast approaching. Many of us struggle to stay healthy in the summer months. There are things that we all struggle with during the summer. For example, not drinking enough water to get bad sunburns. Some of these struggles tend to stop us from enjoying the season.
There are a few things that we can do that are simple and easy. These include:
The summer is most people’s favourite season for food. I love the summer for healthy foods. My favourite thing to eat is a salad. Salads do not need to be boring. In my salads, I include a range of fruit and vegetables in them, especially strawberries or pineapple.
There are so many things that you can do during this season. The biggest thing to do is to eat lighter meals. The best tip is to eat meals that focus on fruit and vegetables with high water content such as:
In the summer months, we all want to have a BBQ at any possible opportunity. However, there are a few items that are popular to cook on a BBQ that can be unhealthy. Most people focus on having a ton of meat products like burgers, sausages, etc. Instead include more vegetables and fruit. For example, corn on the cob or a refreshing salad.
Look After Your Eyes
There are two parts of your body that you need to protect in the summer months. One is your eyes and the other is your skin.
This is one of my favourite tips to stay healthy in the summer months is to look after your eyes. Your eyes are super important. Did you know that the sun can damage your eyes? The damage from the sun can cause short and long term damage which affects your vision. According to Mississipi Eye Care, there are 5 ways that your eye can be damaged by the sun, which include:
- Your eye may be sunburnt
- an increase in eye cancer especially in your eyelids
- development of cataracts due to too much sun exposure
- can lead to growths in the eyes because of prolonged sun exposure
- can lead to macular degeneration
There are a few things that you can do to protect your eyes such as:
- Make sure to wear high-quality sunglasses with at least 99% protection from both UVA and UVB.
- Try to shade your eyes as much as possible using a cap or umbrella.
It is super important that you stay hydrated in the summer months. There are a few reasons that you need to drink more water in the summer. The first and most important reason is to prevent dehydration. With the heat, your body can become dehydrated quite quickly. Once your body is dehydrated, it will be hard for it to function.
The one thing that your body needs to cool itself down is to sweat. If you are dehydrated you will overheat, which results in heatstroke or another heat-related illness. The signs of dehydration include dry mouth, feeling thirsty, feeling dizzy or lightheaded, feeling tired and the colour of your pee being dark yellow.
Top tips to staying hydrating:
- Make sure you always have a glass or bottle of water with you at all times.
- Have an alarm/reminder to drink more water.
- Eat fruit and vegetables that are high in water
- Don’t drink when you are thirsty. Try to sip water throughout the day.
Take Care of Your Skin
My most important tip to stay healthy in the summer months is to protect your skin. There are so many reasons that you need to protect your skin. These include:
- preventing the effect on skin cancer
- damage to your eyes
- damage to your skin
There are a few things that you can do to protect yourself. How to protect your skin:
- wear sunscreen – at least SPF 15
- Avoid the sun between the hours of 10 am to 4 pm
- wear protection clothing
It is so important to wear sunscreen even when the sun is not clearly visible. The sun or UV can still affect you.
Move Your Body
This one can be difficult to do with the heat. Not many of us want to exercise when it is hot and humid outside. There are a few tips that you can do. They include:
- Try to exercise early in the morning or later in the afternoon when it is cooler.
- Take a trip to a lake or beach. there are so many fun outdoor activities you can do such as swimming or paddleboarding
- Wear lightweight clothing to help you be as cool
- Make sure to keep drinking water when exercising.
Make sure that this summer and the next one you stay healthy in the summer month so you can enjoy it.
I am Charlotte and I run Goal of Happiness. Goal of Happiness is a women’s fitness and wellness blog. I started my blog after finding my passion for fitness and health and a way to help deal with some health issues. Empowering women to live healthier and better life with the knowledge that they need. It covers topics such as self-care, health, women’s health, recipes, and a new section being women in business.